7.12.2010

the soothing voice of lois reitzes

if i need a break from hearing ke$ha - um, never - or need to catch up on politics and world events, i turn the radio to 90.1fm, WABE (npr).  occasionally i catch the "second cup" program with lois reitzes (sounds like right-sis), and while i appreciate her clear diction and dedication to the classics, i can't stand the sound of her voice.  i feel kinda bad saying that, since she's mild-mannered and her words never offend me, but if you can only depend on one thing in this in this world, it should be that i will make fun of someone or something on this blog...

i've been meaning to give you a sound byte of her for a while but never got around to it until now:


and another clip




oh, lois. i refuse to believe that she speaks like that all the time. there's just no way.  i'm hoping this is just her on-air voice, and no one ever told her how ridiculous she sounds so she just keeps it up.

4 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I can't believe we've never talked about this before! This cracks me up! Thanks for reminding me...I only listen to her in the car when I'm closer to Atl.

Gerry T said...

When I lived in ATL in 1999 I listened to WABE all the time, especially to Lois Reitzes in the morning. I loved her voice. It had a smooth, yet distinguised quality. I just tuned in over the internet, and man...she just sounds wierd now. I guess age will do that to you.

Unknown said...

It had been a while since I heard Lois on WABE when I tuned in a few days ago. Instead of a radio announcer I thought I was listening to Dustin Hoffman as he tried to sound like a 120+ year old in "Little Big Man." I once described her voice as sounding like she had a mouth full of fried chicken while she was speaking. I still think that, but now she sounds incredibly old.

Fudgeman said...

I just Googled this because I just turned on the radio since her voice drives me absolutely bonkers. It's almost like she should hire a pinch-hitter in the voice over radio interview world so to speak. A pinch talker? Anyway the warbly sound of her voice is insufferable as nice as she seems to be. Like you I feel a little bit bad for saying it but it is what it is. So glad I'm not the only one that wants to duct tape her mouth shut LOL