10.02.2008

tuesday commute

so there was this huge gas shortage in atlanta, ya know, in case you didn't hear about it. i guess it started about two weeks ago, which is the last time i filled up my tank. the whole thing seriously pissed me off. no one seemed to be conserving gas at all. people were flocking to the stations, cars were clogging up the roads, and i got real close to having three or four car accidents. and i probably reached my quota of giving people the finger.

so in an effort to avoid fueling up, and purely for the sake of stickin'-it-to-the-man (and for my own amusement/torture, i guess), i took MARTA to & from work on tuesday. in theory, not a bad idea. in reality, WORST IDEA EVER. i was prepared to suffer, and i did: the 7-mile/15 minute journey i usually make in my car twice per day took an hour and 15 minutes (going). coming home however took almost 2 hours. the transit time alone sucked really bad, but the ride/overall experience itself was pretty shitty. can't say i wasn't expecting it. for one, i had read on the website that you could load fare onto your card on the bus (i had a breeze ticket with no funds). well that was either false or that feature wasn't working. at least the lady let me ride. so i bought a new card at the rail station. then on the CCT bus going home the driver told me that unless i call marta customer service to inform them i will be using my card on CCT, the card won't work on CCT: it works on CCT buses only when your trip originates with MARTA. it won't work on CCT if CCT is the first leg of your journey (which for me it was, coming from my office). i was completely unaware of this and then the subsequent transers messed up the card. the driver on the #37 bus almost ran over some chinese kids, the guy across from me was bitching about how loud another rider was talking - like, he was talking directly to me about how big of a moron this guy was - and well, it freakin' took forever. i was tired and cranky when i got home and wanted to kiss my car when i saw it.


yeah, gas prices are way too high, but i'll still pay up.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

i love your blog. and i hate our government. most everything they do sucks. and i think you should get extra points in life for putting yourself through such misery.