4.23.2008

give a larbage - pick up your garbage

sometimes i am too nice. don't believe me?

- i endorse my checks and fill out the deposit slip before i get in line at the bank
- i try to center my car inside the parking spot
- if i am driving on the interstate and see a car ahead of me on an on-ramp, i try to get over one lane to the left so that the car can merge at their leisure.
- i yield to pedestrians
- if i drop a small piece of trash in a parking lot or in a public place i will pick it up
- if i am buying yogurt or something perishable and i know i am going to eat it in the next day or so, i try to buy the one that has a "sell by" date closest to whatever "today's date" is. as in, i don't spend five minutes digging through the dairy case for the container of cottage cheese that was *just* put in there.
- if i am shopping and knock a garment off its hanger, i put it back.

i guess it's not really being "too nice." it's more like being "socially responsible."

1 comment:

NewsWeeks said...

You're right. This kind of stuff is advanced U.S. citizenship. Unfortunately, not everyone can keep up.
Do you pull out your wallet before you get to the box office when there's a long line at the movies?
Like a steering wheel in my pants, that drives me nuts. You already know how much the movie is going to cost, it's printed RIGHT THERE at the thing you've been staring at for half an hour.
Then some bluetooth wearer gets to the front and only after hearing it'll be $7.50 will he pull out his wallet and ferrets around for ones. Did he think they'd comp his ticket to Deuce Bigalow just because he looks like a douchebag?

In my own spirit of kindness, which is meaner than yours, here's what I do:
-I leave my extra pennies in the gas station's little dish
-I flush the toilet in public places
-I only make fun of the elderly when I'm fairly certain they can't hear me
-I tip above 15%
-I don't stare at cleavage, even when I'm wearing sunglasses
-I limit my showers to < 10 minutes
-I don't eat Mexican on road trips
-I'm not fat (I find fatness kinda rude. Who wants to look at somebody fat? )