2.14.2008

cynical as usual

about a week ago i told andy not to get me anything for valentine's day, and he was like "you don't mean that, of course i'll get you something." i simply said i didn't want anything. and no, i wasn't being crafty and trying to pull any kind of reverse psychology on him. i truly don't give a shit. my [love] life is pretty good. that's right, my boyfriend is nice to me all the time! ok, perhaps it'd be nice to be surprised by flowers, but it wouldn't really mean a whole lot to me on valentines day b/c i think the whole gift-giving thing is pretty much out of obligation, especially if you're in a committed/long-term relationship. but i totally understand the predicament here. if i was a dude and had a girlfriend, i wouldn't want to be "that guy" who does NOTHING on valentine's day, even if you are just following advice on not getting a gift. on the very slight chance that andy does something for me this evening, i have nothing for him in return and i'll feel a little guilty. so...i have concocted quite a lose-lose scenario for myself. i'm not even going over to andy's place tonight because i've got a ton of laundry to do.

No comments: